About Allens Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys
Allens Patent &Trade Mark Attorneys (PTA) is a leading patent and trade mark attorney firm associated with the Allens full service law firm. This seamless, integrated practice, consisting of commercial and litigation IP lawyers, patent attorneys with skills in their chosen technical fields of expertise and trade marks attorneys with a wealth of Australian and international experience, is not typically available in Australia.
Allens is part of a small, elite group of top tier law firms with exceptional technical expertise and commercial insight in the Australian market. We top the rankings of all of the leading IP and legal directories, year-on-year.
Allens' reputation in the market sees us advising, protecting, enforcing and commercialising cutting edge technologies for a wide range of local and international clients .
The PTA team delivers a comprehensive patents, trade marks and designs service.
Our reputation is built on the quality of our team, our technical and legal expertise, and our strong commercial focus. As a result, we are consistently rated as national and international leaders in our field.
We currently have an opportunity for a Patent Attorney specialising in either electrical engineering or ICT to join our busy, growing PTA practice in Melbourne.
Working closely with our clients to develop personalised strategies to protect and enforce their patent rights in Australia and overseas, you will offer services consistent with their business needs and growth strategy. The role also offers great opportunities for business development and practice growth.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing the full scope of patent-related services to local innovators and international clients operating in competitive commercial environments, including drafting and prosecuting applications, portfolio management, and opposition and opinion work.
- Assisting Allens' IP practice in the delivery of a broad range of legal and commercial services, particularly in litigation matters where patent attorney input is critical.
What you'll bring
To succeed in this role you will need:
- Experience working in a well-regarded top tier law or patent attorney firm, international firm or boutique firm. Experience in an in-house team is also highly regarded.
- A strong academic background, ideally research or industry experience in your field.
- A specialisation in electrical engineering, ICT, or similar disciplines.
- Solid experience in drafting and prosecuting patents in the areas of electrical engineering or ICT.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a patent attorney and as a leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
We will also consider candidates who are part-qualified and currently studying for their Patent Attorney qualification.
What we offer
We have been named Australian Law Firm of the Year in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2017 thanks to positive feedback from our clients. The award caps off a year of working with clients on some of Australia's largest and most complex deals.
At Allens, we provide continuing learning that develops you personally and professionally, and gives you access to people and partners who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way. It's up to you to make the most of them.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers, market leading flexible work practices and regular social and sporting activities.
Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
Please send your application addressed to our Resourcing Manager, Charlotte Norman, or for a confidential discussion about the opportunity, please call +61 (0) 3 9613 8983 for more information.