Allens is an international law firm with offices throughout Australia and Asia. Through an integrated alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients access to an extensive network comprising 39 offices in 28 countries. Allens offers one of the most comprehensive legal networks in Australia and Asia.
We have been named Australian Law Firm of the Year in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2017 thanks to positive feedback from our clients. The award caps off a year of working with clients on some of Australia's largest and most complex deals.
Our experienced Environment & Planning legal team at Allens sit within our Real Estate& Development Stream in highly regarded Projects & Development Practice Group. We work with a range of local and international clients, providing advice in a broad range of areas, including:
- All aspects of town planning advice and representation (permits, planning scheme amendments, objections and appeals).
- Environmental impact assessments and approvals.
- Land access and acquisition.
- Environmental prosecutions and compliance.
- Climate change and sustainability.
We regularly work on landmark matters with blue chip clients in the mining, resources and industrial sectors. We also work closely with colleagues in other parts of the firm to deliver projects in the water, renewables and transport sectors. Many of our clients are looking to transition to the lower-carbon economy and we are assisting them with complex site closures and rehabilitation processes.
We have particular expertise in creating innovative and commercial solutions to the issues that arise from environmental liability and pollution law, the planning and regulatory requirements of major projects, and environmental risk in mergers, acquisitions and privatisations.
Our team is expanding and we are seeking an experienced Associate or Senior Associate to be part our growing national Environment & Planning offering. You will be a key member of the team, getting the opportunity to work on a broad range of Environment & Planning issues on major projects.
Our Environment & Planning team work collaboratively with our Real Estate and Projects Practice Groups in Melbourne as well as across jurisdictions, giving our lawyers an opportunity to work on major projects throughout Australia and overseas.
What you'll bring
To succeed in this role you will need:
- Experience working in an Environment & Planning team, ideally at a well-regarded top tier firm, international firm, Australian firm or boutique firm.
- Experience focus on property development, water and waste issues and infrastructure planning.
- An ability to effectively manage larger matters.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a lawyer and leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
What we'll offer
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and gives you access to people and partners who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way. It's up to you to make the most of them.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers, market leading flexible work practices and regular social and sporting activities.
Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We prefer to hear from you directly. Please submit your application via our on-line careers site addressed to Charlotte Norman, Resourcing Manager or call Christa on +61 3 9613 8983 for a confidential discussion.