Allens is an international law firm with offices throughout Australia and Asia. Through an integrated alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients access to an extensive network comprising 40 offices in 28 countries. Allens offers one of the most comprehensive legal networks in Australia and Asia.
We have been named Australian Law Firm of the Year in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2017 thanks to positive feedback from our clients. The award caps off a year of working with clients on some of Australia's largest and most complex deals.
The energy and resources industry is changing rapidly. At Allens, we are regularly sought out by major resources clients to assist them with large-scale projects and complex commercial transactions across the oil and gas and mining sectors. Our expertise is based on a long history of working on a wide range of projects and transactions in Australia and internationally.
Our experience in the energy and resources sector includes: sales, acquisitions and restructures; the generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity and gas; minerals and petroleum exploration and production; and on issues relating to climate change, native title and water resources.
As a result of growth and change within the industry, we are now seeking to recruit an experienced Associate or Senior Associate to join our Melbourne Corporate practice group with specific experience and interest on the energy and resources industry and related law and legal agreements common to the energy and resources industry. Working with leading energy and resources specialists, you will use your extensive experience and expertise in this sector to represent successfully the interests of mining companies and oil and gas companies (from global majors to mid caps), in their various capacities including as joint venture participants and joint venture operators, buyers or sellers of gas, electricity, or other commodities such as iron ore and coal, or as buyers and sellers of various mining and oil and gas assets and projects.
You'll play a key role within the practice group, drawing on the expertise of lawyers in other groups within the firm for areas such as financing or taxation. You'll also have access to worldwide expertise through the Linklaters alliance. As a specialist energy and resources lawyer at Allens, you'll be relied on for your strategic knowledge, technical and negotiating skills, and your commercial approach.
What you'll bring
To succeed in this role you will need:
- An interest and extensive experience in the energy and resources sector ideally at a leading Australian practice or international firm.
- Experience in joint ventures and joint venture agreements, resources project acquisitions and disposals, State Agreements, project development and restructuring, commodity marketing, and gas and electricity supply and transportation agreements.
- An ability to effectively manage small matters and elements of larger matters. In the case of a Senior Associate, an ability to effectively manage large matters and lead teams.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a lawyer and leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks including across all our offices as we work as an integrated mining and oil and gas team.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- A willingness to travel around Australia and overseas as required for work e.g. negotiations, workshops and client business development and marketing.
What we'll offer
At Allens, we’re focused on advancing our industry through equipping our people with the skills and experience they need to be the lawyers of the future. We’re ready to define tomorrow. Are you?
With us, you’ll be more than a lawyer. Our people are technical experts, but they’re also trusted business advisers who think bigger, more broadly and more strategically. Together, we solve complex legal challenges, and collaborate across practice areas and disciplines to guide our clients.
We work across borders too, thanks to our alliance with Linklaters. This strategic partnership opens up worlds of opportunity for our business and our people, including rotations in Linklaters London, Hong Kong and Singapore for our graduate lawyers.
In a rapidly changing world, we seek opportunities to innovate, embracing creative thinking, new approaches and emerging technology. And we don’t just use them to benefit ourselves and our clients. We believe strongly in driving positive change to do right by our community too.
Our teams are open, inclusive and encouraging, giving you the chance to learn and grow, but your development will be down to you. You’ll have the flexibility to drive your career, and we’ll recognise your achievements and hard work as you progress through the firm. Are you ready to begin?
How to apply
We prefer to hear from you directly. Please submit your application via our on-line careers site addressed to Charlotte Norman, Resourcing Manager or call Charlotte on +61 (0)3 9613 8983 for a confidential discussion.