Allens is an international law firm with offices throughout Australia and Asia. Through an integrated alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients access to an extensive network comprising 39 offices in 28 countries. Allens offers one of the most comprehensive legal networks in Australia and Asia.
We have been named Australian Law Firm of the Year in the Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2017 thanks to positive feedback from our clients. The award caps off a year of working with clients on some of Australia's largest and most complex deals.
The energy and resources industry is changing rapidly. At Allens, we are regularly sought out by major resources clients to assist them with large-scale projects and complex commercial transactions across the oil and gas and mining sectors. Our expertise is based on a long history of working on a wide range of projects and transactions in Australia and internationally.
Our experience in the energy and resources sector includes: sales, acquisitions and restructures; the generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity and gas; minerals and petroleum exploration and production; and on issues relating to climate change, native title and water resources.
As a result of growth and change within the industry, we are now seeking to recruit an experienced Associate or Senior Associate to join our Melbourne Corporate practice group with specific experience and interest on the energy and resources industry and related law and legal agreements common to the energy and resources industry. Working with leading energy and resources specialists, you will use your extensive experience and expertise in this sector to represent successfully the interests of mining companies and oil and gas companies (from global majors to mid caps), in their various capacities including as joint venture participants and joint venture operators, buyers or sellers of gas, electricity, or other commodities such as iron ore and coal, or as buyers and sellers of various mining and oil and gas assets and projects.
You'll play a key role within the practice group, drawing on the expertise of lawyers in other groups within the firm for areas such as financing or taxation. You'll also have access to worldwide expertise through the Linklaters alliance. As a specialist energy and resources lawyer at Allens, you'll be relied on for your strategic knowledge, technical and negotiating skills, and your commercial approach.
What you'll bring
To succeed in this role you will need:
- An interest and extensive experience in the energy and resources sector ideally at a leading Australian practice or international firm.
- Experience in joint ventures and joint venture agreements, resources project acquisitions and disposals, State Agreements, project development and restructuring, commodity marketing, and gas and electricity supply and transportation agreements.
- An ability to effectively manage small matters and elements of larger matters. In the case of a Senior Associate, an ability to effectively manage large matters and lead teams.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a lawyer and leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks including across all our offices as we work as an integrated mining and oil and gas team.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- A willingness to travel around Australia and overseas as required for work e.g. negotiations, workshops and client business development and marketing.
What we'll offer
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and gives you access to people and partners who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way. It's up to you to make the most of them.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers, market leading flexible work practices and regular social and sporting activities.
Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
For suitable interstate candidates, a relocation package will be provided.
How to apply
We prefer to hear from you directly. Please submit your resume and transcript via our on-line careers site addressed to Charlotte Norman, Resourcing Manager or call Charlotte on +61 3 9613 2983 for a confidential discussion.