Our high growth companies and Venture Capital (VC) practice is rapidly expanding and we are now recruiting an Associate level lawyer to join our Sydney Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) team.
This is a fantastic role for somebody with experience in venture capital or other private capital raisings, private M&A and/or high growth company advisory.
Your day to day role will typically involve a variety of transactional and advisory matters including:
- Corporate – private M&A for tech-sector clients, private capital raisings (both investor and company-side roles for Australia's most promising early stage and high growth companies), joint venture and strategic partnering arrangements
- Allens Accelerate – startup and scaleup support across their lifecycle (including corporate governance and strategic guidance, equity incentive arrangements and commercial contracting advice)
- General commercial
- Data – privacy advice and data commercialisation (including in an M&A context)
- Digital transformation projects
- Media – broadcasting rights deals, licensing and distribution of digital content
You will work side-by-side with clients across all sectors on transformative and business critical matters as they seek to grow and capitalise on opportunities while confronting the challenges of a constantly changing legal and regulatory landscape.
Our TMT Group is an integral part of Allens' leading Corporate practice and provides specialist expertise across all parts of the TMT spectrum.
We have extensive experience advising Australia's top companies and financial institutions (including fintechs), tech-sector multinationals, investors (including strategic investors and VCs) and high growth enterprises throughout their lifecycle, including in relation to capital raisings, tech-sector private M&A, corporate governance, joint ventures and major strategic partnerships.
We are the only firm in Australia that is ranked band 1 by Chambers Global for both IT & Telecommunications, and also for Media and Sports Law. Tech + Data has been identified by Allens as one of its key growth areas within the firm.
As a member of our TMT Team, you will work in a collaborative environment advising, acting and supporting our clients to execute major transactions and to assist with their legal issues. Our team includes specialist TMT Partners and Lawyers, supported by Knowledge Management Lawyers, Paralegals and Practice Assistants.
You will also work closely with many parts of the firm (including Mergers & Acquisitions, Competition, Tax, Intellectual Property, Employment and Financial Services).
Our people have unique backgrounds and life experiences. Harnessing their many talents helps us connect with our clients, solve complex problems, innovate and attract even more great people. We've long been committed to inclusion and diversity and we're proud that there isn't an 'Allens' type'.
As a member of our TMT Team, you will have access to the firm's extensive client base to explore and develop new opportunities and deliver outstanding service. Ranked as a band-1 practice by Chambers Global, you will act for a range of Australia's top companies and high growth enterprises in the ever-changing technology arena.
From raisings to exits, digital transformation to technology implementation, and data management to managing vendors, we support the full range of tech, telco and data needs of established corporates across all sectors (including major tech, telco and media sector clients) whilst also assisting high growth enterprises from beginning to launch and beyond through Allens Accelerate, our dedicated high growth companies practice.
Our team is committed to delivering exceptional client care – if we spot an issue we raise it; if we spot an opportunity we let our clients know.
Your career trajectory
Our TMT practice is rapidly expanding, presenting an opportunity for an Associate who has the desire to learn and develop their career with us. We will support you on your journey and will give you access to our career framework when you join, providing a clear understanding of what high performance at each career stage as a lawyer at Allens looks like.
We also recognise that every employee's experience is different, and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged, and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Demonstrated experience from a leading Corporate or TMT practice, with experience in venture capital or other private capital raisings, high growth company advisory and general commercial. M&A and corporate advisory experience, including joint venture and corporate reorganisation experience, is helpful but not essential.
- Australia or other common law jurisdiction experience, ideally with direct involvement in the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts.
- An ability to effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, article writing, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a lawyer and as a leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
This is a permanent opportunity for a lawyer with particular experience in venture capital or other private capital raisings, high growth company advisory, tech sector M&A and general commercial.
Allens supports flexible work practices and we are interested in speaking to lawyers wanting to work either part‑time or full-time
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Through our alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations. With Allens, you'll work at the cutting edge of the law on the most complex and innovative deals in the market. You'll work with lawyers and professionals at the top of their game who, like you, strive to get a little better every day. And you'll be supported to take your career wherever you want it to go.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
We prefer to hear from you directly.
Please submit your resume via our on-line careers site addressed to Thomas Wigglesworth, Senior Resourcing Consultant, or contact Thomas for a confidential discussion on + 61 449 539 834.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.