Patent Attorney, Materials Science (Melbourne and Sydney)
Job no: 494689
Work type: Permanent - Full time, Permanent - Part time
Location: Melbourne, Sydney
Categories: Experienced Lawyers, Graduate Lawyers, Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys, Students
We have a unique opportunity for a Patent Attorney with a specialist Materials Science background, a thirst for collaboration and learning and a desire to be the best that you can be.
Allens is proud to be an independent private partnership and we will celebrate our 200th anniversary in 2022.
Our Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys (PTA) Group is an integral part of Allens leading IP practice and provides the full range of intellectual property services, specialising in registered IP rights. Our team includes specialist Patent Attorneys, Trade Mark Attorneys and Commercial and Litigation IP lawyers, supported by a team of Administrators, Searchers and Practice Assistants. As a Patent Attorney, you will collaborate with renowned leaders in IP and have access to the firm's extensive client base to explore and develop new opportunities and deliver outstanding service to clients.
Our clients work with us because of our market leading quality and service. Our PTA team is recognised for its technical excellence, strategic insights and unwavering focus on delivering the best outcomes for our clients. Our patent attorney practice is in a significant and exciting growth phase and we are looking to expand our team with a high calibre Patent Attorney with specialist qualifications in the materials science field.
Our patent team is dynamic and enthusiastic and we pride ourselves on providing a collaborative culture that ensures everyone has an opportunity to contribute to our success. This position suits someone looking for a new challenge involving the full spectrum of patent attorney work for a range of Australian and international innovator clients. You will be part of an experienced and friendly team within Australia's leading law firm who will challenge, support and guide you as you continue to learn and develop during your career at Allens.
Our PTA practice is fully embedded within the broader law firm which provides unparalleled opportunities to expand your horizons and collaborate with other practice groups and teams, with all of the benefits and support of Australia's leading law firm.
A typical day for you might involve:
- Checking and actioning correspondence from clients.
- Analysing and responding to Examination Reports.
- Catching up for a coffee with an Allens' Innovation and Digital Solution team member to discuss their latest offerings and some ideas that you have.
- Meeting with a client regarding a new patent draft and working out a suitable approach and strategy.
- Attending an Allens' lunch time seminar on our reconciliation work and staff secondee experience at an Aboriginal business.
- Meeting with an IP Partner to discuss claim construction in advance of preparing expert evidence.
- Preparing for an IP presentation at an Allens' supported start-up network.
- Talking through a tricky patent issue and kicking around some ideas with the Patent Partners and team.
Your range of work would typically span:
- Providing the full scope of patent-related services to local innovators and international clients operating in competitive commercial environments, including:
- drafting and prosecuting applications in Australia and around the world;
- IP portfolio management;
- patent oppositions;
- freedom to operate searches and advice; and
- validity and infringement opinions.
- Assisting Allens' IP practice in the delivery of a broad range of legal and commercial services, particularly in patent litigation matters where patent attorney input is critical.
- Assisting in the continued growth of the practice through our clearly defined and targeted Business Development initiatives.
Our team is committed to delivering exceptional client care – if we spot an issue we raise it; if we spot an opportunity we let our clients know.
Our PTA Group sits within Allens, a leading international law firm, which gives our team access to an amazing client base and resources. Your role will support two ASX listed clients in the materials space, one with a significant established international portfolio which is about to embark on new R&D platform technology projects, and the other in an IP build phase, with significant funding for their IP portfolio growth. You will work closely with the Patent Attorney Partners to support these and other clients in your technology field in the identification, capture, protection and enforcement of their valuable IP rights.
Your career trajectory
Our PTA practice is expanding and we're looking for a Patent Attorney who has the desire to learn and develop their career with us. We will support you on your journey and will give you access to our career framework when you join, providing a clear understanding of high performance at each career stage as a Patent Attorney at Allens.
We also recognise that every employee's experience is different, and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged, and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Experience from a reputable law or patent attorney firm, or an in-house position.
- A specialisation in Materials Science.
- Experience in drafting and prosecuting patents in the area of Materials Science.
- Post-graduate qualifications and research or industry experience in Materials Science.
- An ability to effectively manage larger matters.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, article writing, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a Patent Attorney and leader.
- A strong team ethic.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- A willingness to build an understanding of clients and develop effective working relationships.
This is a permanent opportunity for a Patent Attorney with Materials Science experience.
Allens supports flexible work practices and we are interested in speaking to Patent Attorneys wanting to work either part time or full-time.
Allens also supports a hybrid working model where working from home part of the week is the norm.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Through our alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations. With Allens, you'll work at the cutting edge of the law on the most complex matters and innovations. You'll work with attorneys, lawyers and professionals at the top of their game who, like you, strive to get a little better every day. And you'll be supported to take your career wherever you want it to go.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
We prefer to hear from you directly.
Please submit your resume via our on-line careers site addressed to Charlotte Frith, Senior National Resourcing Manager or contact Charlotte for a confidential discussion on + 61 3 9613 8983.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Email a friend