We are looking for a Senior Business Development Manager, or Business Development Manager with the right experience, to work closely with partners, lawyers and the business development and marketing teams, to drive our Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Markets (MAC) practice.
Our partners are focused on their clients and growth. They are keen to work with someone that is able to bring fresh ideas, generate leads, solve problems, manage and execute high value pursuits, and drive forward growth initiatives aligned to practice strategy.
This role is responsible for delivering revenue growth and building stronger, more enduring client relationships.
This role is part of the firm's Marketing and Client Services (MCS) team, which is led by the firm's Chief Marketing Officer, Julie Barber.
In essence, the MCS team comprises
- A team of 27 business development team members (allocated to portfolios of industry sectors, practices/products and clients)
- A team of 27 marketing, communication and digital specialists in areas such as communication, media and content; marketing and campaigns; design and digital; events and networks.
The team is well regarded across the firm, and typically involved in strategy development and execution.
The MCS team is a tight knit one with a strong commitment to results, a hard work ethic and a good sense of fun. The team is genuinely national, with team members located across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. A number of MCS team members have worked with Allens for significant periods of time, while there are also new team members whose fresh perspectives and different ways of thinking are embraced.
As a Business Development Manager/Senior Manager, your key responsibilities would include:
- Setting practice strategy and priorities with MAC partners, working with relevant corporate services team members and driving implementation.
- Identifying areas for cross practice and sector collaboration and executing accordingly.
- Playing a client relationship management role with appropriate clients, including coaching on and advocating the CRM tools available.
- Conducting client feedback (relationship, matter and tender feedback) to continually improve our service offering and to gain further insights into client's business.
- Coaching secondees prior and post placement.
- Encouraging the sharing of client intelligence, lessons learned and best practice BD across the firm.
- With support of your direct reports, maintenance of client lists to ensure marketing and BD efforts are targeted.
- Driving implementation of the practice priorities including pursuing growth opportunities.
- Leveraging networks to generate leads.
- Coaching Partners and Managing Associates to execute their business plans.
- Identifying and leading strategy pursuits of clients and deal opportunities.
- Implementing business development initiatives, including integrated campaigns.
- With support from your direct reports, preparing submissions and helping to prepare partners for ranking survey interviews (such as Chambers and Legal 500) and managing league tables submissions nationally.
- With our Marketing team, identifying events, publishing, media and speaking opportunities and providing partners and lawyers with support in pursuing these opportunities.
- Understanding the market and staying across client and competitor activity and sharing insights.
- Preparation, project management and contribution to tenders.
- Coaching lawyers and PAs in contributing to the tender process.
- With support from your direct reports, managing the collection of capability information for the group (for inclusion in tenders and pitches) and maintenance of tender infrastructure and identifying ways to continuously improve the tender process.
Coaching and mentoring of junior team members and identifying ways to support their career growth.
Consistent with many BD roles at Allens, this role would be ‘embedded’ with MAC team members, allowing the successful candidate to quickly and efficiently build rapport and relationships.
Key stakeholders include the Corporate Practice Group Leader, Sector Leads and Relationship Partners across each of the sectors that are most important to MAC initiatives.
Our MAC practice is regularly at the top of the league tables, market share and recognized as one of 3 leading corporate powerhouse firms in Australia. Investment bankers, Boards and other dealmakers recognize a core group of our younger partners are the next generation of market leading M&A lawyers.
Our client base contains ASX-listed corporates and investment funds and private equity firms. Allens and Linklaters team have demonstrated the ability to win roles on cross-border deals in and out of Australia. The practice is collaborative, stable, well led and has set itself ambitious growth targets.
Your career trajectory
We recognise that every employee's experience is different and at Allens, we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Experience working in a professional services firm or other corporate organisation with complex stakeholder management
- Experience in strategy development and a strong track record of coaching teams to implement strategy and priorities
- Ability to identify opportunities and strong pipeline management skills
- Experience developing and implementing business development initiatives to support revenue growth
- An understanding of client experience and an ability to align business development activities to deliver exceptional client experience
- Experience leading and managing tenders
- Strong client relationship management skills
- Strong people management skills and/or an ability to mentor
- A background working closely with communications, digital and events teams to design and deliver marketing and communication strategy in a B2B environment
- A client and solutions focused individual who is highly collaborative and able to work effectively in teams
- Strong project management skills
- Well-developed research and organisation skills, ability to manage multiple initiatives and priorities, good attention detail and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Commercially astute, strong stakeholder influencing skills and ability to quickly understand strategy and translate it through execution.
This is a permanent opportunity for a Business Development Manager/Senior Manager.
We are ideally looking to fill the role on a full-time basis, however we would encourage applications from candidates looking for a 4 day/week arrangement.
Allens also supports a hybrid working model where working from home part of the week is the norm.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a long and proud heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region for almost 200 years, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Over this time, we've grown in scale and reach, today offering clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations through our global alliance with Linklaters.
We have recently been named an elite "band one" firm in 18 practice areas and jurisdictions by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020. We were also awarded Law Firm of the Year (> 500 employees) at the Australasian Law Awards, 2019. This achievement caps off a year of working with clients on some of Australia's largest and most complex deals.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
We prefer to hear from you directly.
Please submit your resume via our on-line careers site addressed to Lily Petrova, Resourcing Manager.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.