We are looking for a talented and motivated Associate or Senior Associate to join our Projects team in Perth. This is a fantastic role for a lawyer interested in working in a collaborative and high performing team advising on the some of the most complex and interesting transactions in the market. We are particularly interested in hearing from lawyers with construction expertise and / or an interest in working on large scale development projects.
Our team advises on the leading project development, mining, infrastructure, oil & gas and energy transactions in Australia. We routinely advise on high profile national and cross-border transactions and projects involving assets across Australia, Asia and Papua New Guinea.
You will be working with and learning from our leading partners Gerard Woods, Jodi Reinmuth, Tracey Greenaway and Tristan Iredell:
- Gerard is recognised as a leading natural resources lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015-2020 (Mining Sector) and ranked as a Leading Energy & Resources Lawyer in Doyles Guide. Gerard and Jodi are included in Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 for Mining Law.
- Jodi is also recognised for her Energy Law practice in Best Lawyers in Australia 2021.
- Tracey focusses on oil & gas and LNG transactions and is ranked as a Leading Individual for Energy transactions by Legal 500.
- Tristan is the newest partner in our projects group and heads up our infrastructure project development focus.
Our clients work with us because of our market leading expertise, sector knowledge and focus on providing high quality advice that adds value to their business. We have an excellent track record of advising on major projects and bringing an innovative approach to the transactions we work on.
As a firm we value diversity and bringing the best to our clients by working as a team. Harnessing the many talents of our people helps us connect with our clients, solve complex problems, innovate and attract even more great people. As a member of our team you will be challenged, supported and guided as you continue to learn and develop during your career.
As part of our team you will play an important role delivering client work on market-leading projects and transactions and working with us to identify and win new work opportunities. The key features of this role are the challenging work your will experience, the variety of transactions you can expect to get involved in and the broad range of clients and people you will work with.
Your role will typically include advising on:
- project development transactions in the infrastructure, mining, oil & gas and energy sectors, including renewables transactions;
- acquisitions and divestments in the mining and oil & gas sectors;
- regulatory matters involving mining and oil & gas operations and the generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity and gas;
- joint ventures, JOAs, shareholders agreements and partnership structures;
- gas sales and transportation agreements, LNG sales agreements and trading; and
- power purchase agreements.
We work with some of the world's leading energy and resources companies, including Rio Tinto, ExxonMobil, Woodside, Santos, BHP, INPEX and CITIC. We also work with a range of innovative mid-cap companies and start-ups.
Some examples of the projects and transactions that our Perth energy and resources team have recently been involved in include, advising:
- Rio on strategic iron ore projects in the Pilbara, Western Australia;
- Core Lithium on all aspects of its Finniss lithium development in the Northern Territory;
- Perth Airport on its various capex and opex projects;
- CITIC on all aspects of the operation and development of the $18 billion Sino Iron magnetite project, Western Australia;
- Macquarie Capital on its acquisition of the Kwinana Waste to Energy Project, Western Australia;
- Santos on its acquisition of ConocoPhillips’ northern Australia business including Darwin LNG, Bayu-Undan, Barossa and Poseidon for US$1.39 billion;
- Alinta on its various procurement projects across multiple assets;
- Woodside on all aspects of the development of its proposed $16 billion Scarborough LNG Project, Western Australia; and
- AIE on the development of Australia's first LNG import terminal in NSW, including advising on the FSRU chartering and terminal use agreements.
Your career trajectory
Our Projects practice (as well as our broader Perth office) is expanding and we're looking for an Associate or Senior Associate with the desire to learn from leaders in the industry and develop their career with us.
We recognise that every employee's experience is different and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged, and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Experience advising on a broad range of project development transactions in the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas or energy sectors at a well-regarded international or Australian, including a boutique, firm.
- An ability to work independently and effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A strong team ethic, this aspect of our culture is of key importance to us.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- An interest in building an understanding of clients and developing effective working relationships with clients.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
This is a permanent opportunity for an energy & resources or project development lawyer.
Allens supports flexible work practices and we are interested in speaking to lawyers who would like to work on either a full or part time. We also support a hybrid working model, where working from home is part of the norm.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Through our alliance with Linklaters, we offer clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations. With Allens, you'll work at the cutting edge of the law on the most complex and innovative deals in the market. You'll work with lawyers and professionals at the top of their game who, like you, strive to get a little better every day. And you'll be supported to take your career wherever you want it to go.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
It would be great to hear from you directly.
Please submit your resume via our on-line careers site addressed to Lily Petrova, Resourcing Manager or contact Tristan Iredell, Partner for a confidential discussion on + 61 8 9488 3906.
If this isn't the position for you, please tell your friends or colleagues about it.