The Software Development Engineer's key responsibilities are to plan, design and implement production ready software solutions as required by the firm. This position has a trusted advisor role in evaluating, advising and implementing integration technologies that align with the firm's business objectives. Responsibilities include but are not limited to API development, full stack coding for custom web applications, and cloud services integrations focusing on the Microsoft 365 and Azure platform.
Allens uses technology to support all aspects of its business, in order to build our communication and collaboration capability. Our IT Department is made up of technical and project-focused experts who work together to resolve challenges, by creating robust and sustainable solutions for the business. Our Integration & Development Team is an integral part of the broader IT Department at Allens.
Integration & development team are a dynamic, open minded team who work together to support each other to grow with the Firm. As a member of our experienced IT Department within Australia's leading law firm, you will be challenged, supported and guided as you continue to learn and develop during your career at Allens.
As a Software Development Engineer, your role will be varied and could typically include:
- sharing knowledge within the IT department to continue to the growth of the teams' overall technical knowledge.
- design and develop bespoke applications to automate, integrate and evolve.
- researching and propose new technologies, products, standards, designs and processes.
- collaborating with the business to analyse requirements and propose solutions.
- developing professional working relationships with internal colleagues, stakeholders and external providers.
- providing hands-on orientation, documentation and training as required to other staff in order to broaden our base skill in the department, maintain processes, and assist with change management.
The Integration & Development Team evaluates, advises and implements integration technologies and solutions that align with the firm's business objectives. We work in partnership with our internal stakeholders to deliver outstanding service and customised web applications, to help teams achieve their business outcomes and strategic goals. You will also have contact with external software vendors, suppliers and integrators.
Your career trajectory
Our IT Department is looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer who has experience, curiosity, a willingness to learn and develop their career with us. We will support you on your journey and will give you access to our career framework when you join, providing a clear understanding of high performance at each career stage at Allens.
We also recognise that every employee's experience is different, and at Allens we know that successful and enjoyable careers come through your focus and commitment to being the best you can be, in an environment where you are supported and encouraged and have clarity on key processes and decisions. Our career deal is a key part in achieving this; our deal asks you to take the lead for your career, with us providing the coaching and support to help you meet your goals and aspirations.
What you'll bring
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent industry experience
- Experience in a large corporate environment preferred
- Software Engineering experience mandatory
- Demonstrated experience in developing for and supporting the Microsoft 365 and Azure ecosystem, and associated technologies, including but not limited to:
- SharePoint Online
- Microsoft Bot framework
- Power Automate
- Working knowledge of API development and testing frameworks
- Mature approach to development, considering factors such as outcomes, time, budget etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to write documentation and a passion for sharing your knowledge
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion with sensitive information
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A curious mind, and exploring what is possible
- Ability to work diligently with attention to detail and minimal supervision
- Desire to investigate, implement and support software
- Strong ability to work well and think clearly under pressure
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity for an experienced Software Development Engineer.
As the owner of various systems, you will be expected to perform out-of-hours maintenance and critical support when required.
Allens supports a flexible working model, where working from home is the norm.
Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work.
From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asia region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like.
Over this time, we've grown in scale and reach, today offering clients a global network of 40 offices in 28 locations through our global alliance with Linklaters
There is enormous strength in the unique backgrounds and life experiences our people bring to the firm. Our culture and performance is enriched by our differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural and social diversity, age, ability, and family and caring arrangements. We encourage applications from First Nations peoples.
What we'll offer
You will be an integral part of a high performing, national team and have an opportunity to work with genuine market leaders.
At Allens, we provide lifelong learning that develops you personally and professionally, and access to people and leaders who can help you become the best you can be. You'll be given ongoing opportunities to get involved and to take your career all the way.
You'll enjoy a range of other benefits including free gym membership, staff discounts with hundreds of suppliers and regular social and sporting activities. Allens also leads the profession in community investment, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Are you ready to begin?
Please submit your resume online - we can't wait to hear from you!