Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in Australia and the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 40 offices in 28 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
You'll be a part of our Projects team based in Brisbane, however you will work with lawyers and Partners across all of our offices. Working closely with our Partners and the wider team, you will gain exposure to the most complex and interesting transactions in the market.
The Allens Projects team is made up of two main streams:
• Construction and Infrastructure
As part of our team, you will provide comprehensive whole-of-life advice on energy and infrastructure projects. The team is known for working with clients throughout the full lifecycle of their projects, from origination to construction and development, to operation and end of life.
At Allens, our national operating model means you'll get exposure to different Partners within your practice group (and the firm more broadly) and a wide variety of work. We encourage our lawyers to find their niche and specialise in areas they're interested in, while building a strong foundation across their field.
As an Associate in Projects you will:
- Act for significant players in the Infrastructure and Energy sectors on key documents such as project deeds, concession arrangements, EPC / D&C contracts, interface arrangements, O&M contracts, tender documents, power purchase agreements, connection agreements, battery storage service agreements, structured retail supply agreements, joint operating agreements, LNG sale and purchase agreements, lifting and balancing agreements and tolling and supply agreements.
- Advise clients seeking to construct, acquire or divest major energy projects (including renewable energy and energy storage projects);
- Advise clients in relation to all aspects of acquisitions and disposals, from legal due diligence, through preparation of transaction documents, to completion.
- Assist clients to obtain regulatory project and transaction approvals, as well as assisting with ongoing regulatory compliance requirements;
- Assisting clients with National Electricity Rule changes.
This is a (permanent, full-time) opportunity however we support flexibility, and would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you. We also support a hybrid working model, where working from home, and the office, is part of our norm.
You will have:
- Experience advising on a broad range of project development transactions in the Infrastructure and Energy sectors at a well-regarded international or Australian, including a boutique firms.
- An ability to work independently and effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A strong team ethic, this aspect of our culture is of key importance to us.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks.
- An interest in building an understanding of clients and developing effective working relationships with clients.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
A story to tell - there is enormous strength in the unique backgrounds and life experiences our people bring to the firm. Our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural and social diversity, age, ability, and family and caring arrangements enrich our firm. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations peoples.
In joining Allens, you will become an integral part of a high-performing firm and work with people and leaders who help you become the best you can be. You will gain exceptional training that develops you professionally and personally. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you work on the most complex matters in the market.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; generous incentive plan that recognises both billable and broader contribution, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now". If you would like to find out more head to Careers at Allens or for a confidential discussion, phone Rebecca Lyness, Senior Resourcing Consultant, on +61 2 9230 4616