Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 40 offices in 28 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
Our Chambers Band 1 Corporate Mergers & Acquisition (M&A) practice is expanding and we are recruiting high-calibre Associates or Senior Associates to join our leading Private Equity (PE) team in Melbourne. This is a fantastic role for somebody looking to work in a collaborative and high performing environment, advising on the largest and most high profile PE deals in the market.
Our PE team is an integral part of our broader M&A team. We deliver highly successful M&A outcomes for leading national and international financial sponsors and are pleased to have played a crucial role in some of the largest and most complex deals in Australia's history. In the last 12 months this has included advising:
- KKR on the proposed take private of Ramsay Health Care, which if successful will be the largest PE buyout in Australian history.
- Blackstone on its divestment of La Trobe Financial to Brookfield.
- BGH Capital on the hotly contested take private of Virtus Health and proposed take private of Hansen Technologies.
- PEP on its divestments of LifeHealthcare, AutoPacific Group and WINconnect.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners on its exit from PEXA.
- Livingbridge on its acquisitions of Everlight and Waste Services Group.
- Cerberus on its acquisitions of Westpac's strategic alliances and auto finance businesses.
We are consistently recognised as among the best in Australia. This is evidenced by our strength in the M&A league tables year after year, most recently toping the league tables by deal value in 2021. Our team operates nationally and works collaboratively and includes specialist PE partners and lawyers who sit within out broader M&A team. You will also work closely with many other parts of the firm (including Banking & Finance and Funds).
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity however we support flexibility, and would be happy to discuss what arrangements would work best for you. We also support a hybrid working model, where working from home, and the office, is part of our norm.
You will have:
- 3 – 7 years' experience with a leading M&A / PE practice, ideally from a leading top tier, national or international firm.
- An ability to effectively manage smaller matters and elements of larger matters.
- A willingness to participate in business development activities, such as pitch documents, firm-wide pursuits, article writing, attending industry events and hosting seminars.
- A desire and ability to grow, both as a PE lawyer and as a leader.
- A willingness to build an understanding of our clients and develop effective working relationships.
- An ability to establish a professional profile and internal networks.
- A willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences and networks. A desire to learn, grow, network, mentor others
A story to tell - there is enormous strength in the unique backgrounds and life experiences our people bring to the firm. Our people's differences across gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural and social diversity, age, ability, and family and caring arrangements enrich our firm. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations peoples.
In joining Allens, you will become an integral part of a high-performing firm and work with people and leaders who help you become the best you can be. You will gain exceptional training that develops you professionally and personally. You will be challenged, supported and guided as you work on the most complex matters in the market.
Our unique Career Deal allows you to take control of your career and provides a transparent approach to career development. Our international alliance with Linklaters means we are able to support secondments all over the world.
Our benefits include:
- Financial: market competitive fixed remuneration; generous incentive plan that recognises both billable and broader contribution, salary continuance insurance, employee recruitment referral program, discounts at hundreds of suppliers including retail outlets, health and travel insurance, charity matched funding program.
- Health and wellbeing: fully subsidised gym memberships, annual flu vaccinations, skin checks, in-house snacks and catered meals, subsidised sporting and social activities, emergency childcare, Employee Assistance Program including confidential counselling, wellbeing coaching and financial coaching for employees and their families and regular wellbeing sessions with our in-house consulting Psychologist.
- Flexibility: hybrid and flexible working arrangements to support you in your work and life commitments and passions, equipment to support working from home.
- Leave: ability to purchase additional annual leave, access to an enhanced, inclusive and flexible parental leave policy – 26 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum service for permanent employees and high quality executive coaching to support the transition.
- Recognition: team based recognition including social activities and contribution based recognition activities, and annual Allens Values Awards to nominate and recognise the incredible contributions of our people.
Allens is also proud to invest in our communities, giving you the opportunity to make a difference through our work on reconciliation, the environment and other social justice issues as well as our workplace giving and volunteering programs.
How to apply
We'd love to hear from you so please click "apply now". If you would like to find out more head to Careers at Allens.