Allens is a leading international law firm with a proud 200-year heritage of shaping the future for our clients, our people and the communities in which we work. From playing a pioneering role in the development of legislation and regulatory frameworks in the Asian region, to acting on numerous 'firsts' across a range of industry and community issues, it is in our DNA to make a difference and help shape what our world looks like. Our alliance with Linklaters connects our clients and teams with an international network of legal leaders that spans 39 offices in 28 countries.
We value personal growth and career progression equally. Through our in-depth career coaching, focus on innovation, and international secondment program, we aim to create future leaders in the legal industry.
Our people go further to support our clients, using sharp commercial insight and creativity to enrich long‑standing relationships and build new ones. We go further for each other and our community. We’re people you want to work with: we're generous with our time and ready to help. No matter what the future holds, we’re in it together.
This year, we have once again been recognised as the #1 law firm by both GradAustralia and the Australian Association of Graduate Employers (AAGE) as voted by our graduates, and a top clerkship employer by the AAGE, GradConnection and the AFR.
With us, you’ll be one step ahead. Great change is here. Are you ready?
Our clerkship program
For a head start in your career, apply for a clerkship in our Melbourne office. You’ll work with some of the most experienced lawyers in Australia and encounter first-hand the type of work you could do as a lawyer at Allens. You’ll get to be part of a team, assisting with real matters. Your Supervisor, Performance Coach and Buddy will be there to support you, help you make the most of your clerkship, get to know our people, and thrive.
We believe that we stand out as an employer because of our high-quality technical training and excellent learning environment. We’ll work with you to develop your understanding of commercial law and build your skills, providing the foundation you need to become a successful lawyer. You’ll be involved in some of the market's most complex domestic and global transactions.
We offer clerkship programs in one of three periods, two over summer and one over winter, to coincide with university holidays. During your clerkship you will work in one practice group for three and a half weeks, giving you a consistent experience and invaluable insight into what we do and the clients we work for.
Our clerkship program is a stepping stone to bigger things – most clerks go on to become graduates with us. Here is a quick rundown of what you can look forward to:
- a personalised induction program that introduces you to our people and the work we do;
- on-the-job training with support from a partner, managing associate or senior associate and a junior lawyer, who will act as your supervisor, performance coach and buddy;
- learning opportunities across practice areas and partners, as we don't work in silos;
- the chance to work on real matters with many of Australia's and the world's top 100 companies;
- the opportunity to get involved in community and pro bono work, and learn about our committees and interest groups;
- the chance to learn about working within our alliance with Linklaters and about secondment opportunities;
- seminars that will build a strong foundation of skills to help you become an excellent lawyer and thrive in our ever‑changing world;
- social events, where you will really get to know us; and
- the opportunity to network with some of the best in the profession.
In light of COVID-19, aspects of the recruitment process traditionally run face-to-face in the Melbourne office may be run virtually. We are regularly assessing the situation, and will adjust our recruitment process as necessary to ensure the process is as smooth as possible. Currently we are hoping that all interviews and events in Melbourne will be face to face, with the option of virtual interviews if needed.
Applications are open to students who are in their penultimate and final year of their law degree. Applications will close at 11:55pm (AEST) on Sunday, 14 August 2022. Please address your application to Melissa Lim, Early Careers Consultant. For further information, visit our website or email Student.Careers@allens.com.au.